Ron,

As a former MAPICS employee (job was eliminated 1/2002 when it was moved
offshore) I would listen to your affiliate, install Rel 6.5.  It is the most
functional group of applications MAPICS offers.  Release 7 is for "bleeding
edge" customers.  Rel 7 CSM does not have all the function quite yet that Rel
6.5 has.  That may not be a concern if you are not planning on using the
Customer Service Management application.  I believe they are working hard to
fill the missing function and it may be ready when the next release comes out.

However, to run the R7 code, you will need a "super" iSeries machine and go
through a review process to make sure your company is at the right level to be
successful with R7.  Release 6.5 is ready now.  Yes, there are many "fixes" as
Konrad pointed out, but what he didn't point out is many of those PTF's are new
optional enhancements that you can pick and choose to fix you business
requirements.  The code is pretty stable at R6.5 and there is a lot of support
for training, etc. that will help your company be successful.

Good luck with your implementation and subsequent conversion to the MAPICS
files.  I know you will find that MAPICS does provide the solution your company
needs to be successful in this ever chaning economy.

Paola Groeber
MAPCIS Consultant
(PS: I really did try not to respond, but I couldn't resist you Konrad :^)