Environment: Mapics DB/Y2K (Mod 4)
IM, PDM, PCC, PUR

Hi Mapics ML:

How do you handle PDM Costing for Item Numbers that are
either manufactured (Item Type 2) or purchased (Item Type
4)?

In our shop, we use the same Item Number for both and this
approach is leading to some costing errors.

I thought about the following approach:

1. If a Item Number XXXXXXXX is normally a Item Type 2 and
it becomes necessary to purchase it from a vendor, create
a new Item Number, as follows: Add an "P" to the new 9th
character of the Item Number (Example: XXXXXXXXP)

1. If a Item Number XXXXXXXX is normally a Item Type 4 and
it becomes necessary to manufacture it, create a new Item
Number, as follows: Add an "M" to the new 9th character of
the Item Number (Example: XXXXXXXXM)

The new 9th character would only be used in situations
where the component is both purchased and manufactured.

The downstream problem I see using the above approach is
that the BOM's of all the products where the component is
used might have to be written two ways, to reflect the old
and new Item Number. This could be a real problem.

With this background, perhaps you can give me some
suggestions.  I look forward to your comments.

Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR
aldg1@charter.net
http:www.AlsPhotographs.com