Sent: 13 October 2000 14:52
Subject: RE: File Definitions

I have become a power IWP user (by necessity - I am forbidden by company
policy to write RPG reports) and had the same questions that you do, George.
I tried to use the MAPICS data dictionary, but was unable to get it to
populate the files (do you need to have the source code on your machine to
use this, BTW?).  I did a combination of things - went into OS/400 PDM,
printed a list of the files in AMFLIB, and downloaded to an Excel
spreadsheet.  I also create the file definition reports (CAS, Reports, File
Layout), downloaded the print files to Word, cleaned them up and have my own
"data book" - used DFU to get the keys for the logicals and noted them with
the physical file layouts in the Word documents, etc.

The most frustrating part of this has been getting the relationships of the
files correct, and figuring out where the fields are coming from.  ERL works
for the COM and IFM file relationships, but not the "heart" of MAPICS, which
is the IM/PDM/PCC/PUR relationships of ITEMASA/B/C.  The MAPICS help desk
has also been willing to tell me, if I give them the MAPICS screen name,
which files the fields displayed come from. (I get end users saying "here's
the screen - I want a report showing me this data for all <fill in the
blank>".)

Good luck - IWP is a powerful "tool" for writing reports quickly, but first
you need to have a programmer's understanding of the file relationships in
order to "tease" the data from the files.

Joan McCready, IS Manager         phone:  636-479-4499
The Carondelet Corporation        fax:  636-479-3399
8600 Commercial Blvd              www.metaltekint.com
Pevely, MO  63070