I'm not completely sure what the status of scs2ps is.  As for scs2pdf,
James Rich would be the expert on that.

Here's what I'd do:

   1)  Set up your outputcommand so that the raw SCS data from the
         AS/400 goes to a file.   maybe something like:
               lp5250d outputcommand='cat - > /tmp/spool$$.scs' as400

   2)  Process that file with scs2ps, and see if it works or crashes,etc.
               scs2ps < spool12345.scs > spool12345.ps

   3)  If it works, then the problem may be that lp5250d can't find the
         the scs2ps program in your path.   If it fails, then note the
         errors that occur, maybe they'll be helpful.

   4)  If none of this helps, post a new message with details about
         what happened when you tried steps 1-3.  I don't know anything
         about PostScript, so maybe someone else will be able to help
         you.  If not, I'll see if I can figure it out.

I don't think scs2ps is very feature-rich at this point.  If it's an
option, I'd really recommend using Host Print Transform w/scs2ascii
instead of using scs2ps.