Hello

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 klemscot@klements.com wrote:

>> Is there a way to prevent tn5250 from using Terminal as default
>> (at least if ccsid 37 is not used)? I know now that I MUST set
>> a font, but someone just trying tn5250 (and not using an
>> command line option) would think it is still to bugy to use
>> (This was my first impression too).
>
>Sorry about that.   You have to understand that I'm from the United
>States, and I don't have any way to test the character sets from other
>countries.  That's why I'm so lucky to have people like you, Marek and
>Elias to help me test it!
>
>So, which font would you recommend?  Courier New?

Courier New is not a beauty, but the only one that is avaliable on
every Windows, in the relevant codepage and has a fixed width.

>> There is a second (minor) problem:
>> When I use
>>      tn5250 font_80="Courier New" font_132="Courier New" +resize_fonts
>> and maximize the window, only a vew pixels of the last line
>> are visible (using 1024x768).
>
>Here's what it does:
>
>       1) TN5250 takes the size of the window and divides it by the
>           number of columns, and rows to figure out how big of a
>           character we need.
>
>       2) It then asks Windows to create a font in the size that
>            we need.
>
>       4) Windows will pick the closest size that the font supports.
>
>       5) We then resize the window to the size font that Windows
>            gave us.
>
>The problem seems to be that Windows is picking a larger font than the
>size that we requested, and it causes the TN5250 window to be too big
>for the screen.
>
>This is one of those non-intuitive things that made me want to get rid
>of the +resize_fonts capability in the first place :)

Could this be compensated by some extra space (a few pixels) between
the lines? If windows picks a font thas is bigger than expected that
space can be dropped. If the font is smaller some more space could
be added.

Dietmar