On 11 Apr 2002, Martin Rowe wrote:

> Hi Scott
>
> I get some interesting side effects with the font switching too. Full
> screen and Courier New are spot on for me. On the other hand if the
> window isn't maximized, say 90% of the width & height in 24x80 mode and
> you display a spoolfile in 27x132 it makes the window longer (filling
> the screen top to bottom) but slightly narrower (down to 80%). Exit the
> spool file to 24x80 and it leaves the window nearly the same size. View
> the spool again and width is down to 70% or so. I assume it's using the
> most recent width in the calculation, rather than the original each
> time. I tried this a few times and ended up with a window only an inch
> across ;-)

I agree.   The font resizing does not work well.   I don't think it's
ready for the public.    But, then again, the Unix version doesn't have
font resizing at all, yet people seem to like it.

> One other thing. I still don't see defaults from tn525rc showing up in
> the Quick Connect dialog. Have I missed something (command line option
> maybe)?

This surprises me...   I know this code works!

A few things you can check:

1) The tn5250rc file needs to be in the same directory as the tn5250.exe
      executable.

2) The settings that you want to load as defaults need to be in the same
      profile as the emulator is launched with.  Or, if you want them to
      work with all sessions, don't put them in a profile at all.

As a basic test, create a tn5250rc file that has only one line in it:

map=285

That's it... just that one line, no profiles, etc.

then just run tn5250 by itself (no arguments) when it comes up, it says
"285" under Char Map.

If you put it under a profile name:

test {
   map=285
}

then it won't come up unless you type "tn5250 test"

you can always combine them:

map=285

test1 {
    host = system1.example.com
    env.DEVNAME = MARTINS1
}

test2 {
     host = system2.example.com
     env.DEVNAME = ROWES1
}

In this case, the map=285 applies to all runs of tn5250, but the hosts &
device names are only used if you specify test1 or test2 at the command
line...

Speaking of which, I was going to see if I could get the install program
to ask for a map during install...