On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 klemscot@klements.com wrote:
>I could put a workaround in tn5250 for those.... if one of those 114x
>codepages is selected, it would make a copy of the pre-euro version, and
>just change the one code position...
>
>But, what about the Unix side of things?  Anyone know what the appropriate
>code position would be for each of the Unix maps?

Ups, I forgot to mention:
There is an ISO codepage iso8859-15 (aka Latin9) for western europe that is
meant as a replacement for iso8859-1. SuSE-Linux supports this (for most
fonts), debian too (at least there is an howto
     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-euro-support/)
Recode 3.5 knows iso8859-15 so "the workaround" would work on linux too.

All the CCSIDs I mentioned yesterday are Latin1 based (western eropean).
But I found out there are at least 3 more CCSIDs with euro currency symbol:
1153 east europe, 1154 Russia, 1155 Turkey. Especially for eastern europe
everything is much more complicated: Iso8859-16 is the replacement of
Iso8859-2 with euro currency symbol, but they differ too much. I think in
this case we either have to manually create a translation table or to wait
for recode to support it.

I have the following suggestion on creating transmaps.h:

If the perl script transmaps in subroutine "recode" wants to write a maping
say ibmxxxx_to_iso_8859_xx then we first should look for an file
ibmxxxx_to_iso_8859_xx.map that is included into transmaps.h without ever
calling recode. If the file is not found recode is called as usual.

If someone needs an "complicated" mapping like ibm1153 to iso_8859-16 he
could provide the (hand tuned) files iso_8859_16_to_ibm1153.map,
windows_1250_to_ibm11531.map, ... BTW Marek would have an easy way to patch
his transmaps.h too.

Instead of writing "workaround" code in tn5250 to handle e.g. CCSID 1141
almost like the pre euro CCSID 273 we (maybe me) could generate
iso_8859_15_to_ibm1141.map, .. by an perl script (still based on 273). If
one day recode knows the missing CCSIDs we just have to remove these map
files.

What do you think? (Hope you understood what I was trying to explain.)

Dietmar