From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Sam Shirah
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:46 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: Re: Java Version?

Yep, there were significant changes in 1.5, enough so that pre 1.5
JVM's
won't run programs compiled from 1.5 on.

If you must run Java on the AS/400, look for an older compatible
version of
JTOpen, which includes the JDBC driver. As James mentioned, you'll also
need to check the JDBC version provided by that version of JTOpen; later
capabilities won't be supported.

I think we went through this before, but IMO the better option, if
possible,
is to run Java and web/JEE servers on a separate PC or server using JTOpen
for access/cooperation with the AS/400. Then you're free from constraints
and can use the latest versions of everything.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - www.conceptgo.com (904) 302-6870
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC Going International?
www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? www.jguru.com/faq/Java400