From: albartell

But forgive me, but aren't you asking people to use third party
frameworks
that may not even work with some database implementations? As far as I
know, GRAILS is pretty much synced up with Spring and Hibernate; what if
you don't use those?

That's my point exactly! There is complexity in choosing frameworks
because
you can't simply pick-n-pack without doing thorough testing, and there in
lies some of Java's complexity.

Why is PHP better in this regard? It seems to me that there are far more
PHP frameworks than Java frameworks:

http://www.phpwact.org/php/mvc_frameworks

What if there were cases where it didn't make sense to go through RPG
to get to the database because it was more of a reporting section of the
software? Would you consider an ORM solution like Hibernate in that case?
Note that I am well aware of Hibernates short comings, and that is where
it helps to have some experience with these "off the shelf" code sets.

Ah, I don't know. It would depend on the business situation. If it was a
small number of reports, I might suggest a simple JDBC access. If it were
an entire user-driven data warehouse, then I might suggest a commercial
package.

Do you have an example implementation of your framework on the web
somewhere that we can review it?

Go to any of my seminars, at user groups, at DevCon. I give these many
times a year all around the country.

Joe