On the other hand, there is something to be said for creating Java
bytecode directly from RPG but this really depends on whether your aim
is to migrate RPG Maintenance Developers to Java working on converted-to
Java source, or just to migrate to a different platform and achieve easy
interoperability with new Java code.

My gut feel is that unless you have a means to abstract the RPG into a
higher level layer by reverse engineering and then forward engineer to
redesigned Java, it's best to go with the RPG to bytecode path. Of
course this assumes that the software vendor providing such a utility
continues in business and continues to support the tool, otherwise you'd
be stuck with RPG source and no ongoing route to the bytecode!

On an analogous subject, I attended JavaOne last week where Sun's new VB
to Java bytecode was announced - unfortunately I was not able to go to
the Session but it is well described here:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/herbertc?entry=project_semplice_visual_basic_for
and here:
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2006/05/19/write-java-web-apps-in-visual-basic-or-javascript/
. I think the keys to the future success of this project are: tight
integration with an excellent toolset, (with both languages first class
citizens of the same environment), and an open source license.

Chris Jewell
Korasoft Inc.