    Hi Jon,

> Undoubtedly the classpath is involved ... but I think it must relate to
> the base java classes.

    I don't think so.  Your original message showed

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: TestClass"

    That tells you two things:

1)    The JRE and base classes are found - otherwise nothing would have run
and NoClassDefFoundError could not be thrown.

2)    TestClass can't be found, which is a classpath issue.

    This should be a "is it plugged in and turned on?" thing.  I understand
that you don't think it is, but double check everything, please.

    The first step is to check your current directory.  Next, check that
TestClass.class exists in your current directory and ensure proper spelling.
If both of these are true, I agree that "java TestClass" should run.  From
Java 1.2 on, if no classpath is given, the default is "." or current
directory.  If any of the above is not true, correct them.

    If you still have problems, check your installation and try running the
included Java Hello program.  See:

<
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/rzaha/getstart.htm

and look at the "Install and configure" and "Run your first Hello World
Java" sections.

    The base Java classes are on the boot classpath; also any extension
classes are auto found and loaded as necessary.

    For user classes, one of these must be true ( leaving out custom
classloaders and that kind of thing ):

    A)    CLASSPATH environment variable set.

    B)    "java" command ( from command line ) has CLASSPATH parm set;
equivalent to "java -cp myPath: myClass" in Qshell and other boxes.

    C)    Neither of above, which uses "." as default; classes must be found
from current directory.

    That should be enough to resolve your issue unless you have something
truly weird going on.  BTW, your empty no-arg constructor is not necessary;
the compiler will create one if no other constructors are present.  HTH,

                                                         Joe Sam

(    Who still uses the RPG cycle when it makes sense    ;-P     )

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400