What data format would you use for the messages? ( XML?  CSV? )

Blair Wyman <blairw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/12/2004 21:21
Please respond to
Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
<java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: The OS/400-Java "impedence bump"

java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/06/2004 06:35:27 PM:

> Fellow Programmers:
>
> A colleague and I have been exploring ways to handle business
integration,
> and we're wondering about whether there's a good way (possibly using
> something in the Toolbox?) for an OS/400-native program to send messages
> to a Java program that's probably going to be running somewhere else.

What Joe P. said -- data queues -- are one nice sweet spot of functional
commonality between RPG and Java.

One wrinkle, though, is the 'somewhere else' you mentioned...  If that
'somewhere else' is on a separate machine (or even in a separate partition
on the same physical machine) I'd still use data queues to get from RPG ->
Java on the local machine, and then fold any and all inter-machine
communications into Java (where the sockets stuff is already built in and
readily available).  FWIW, I've never done sockets programming in RPG, and
maybe it's easy, but I don't believe it could be as easy as it is in Java.

Just my 2 cents.

-blair

  ___   _           Blair Wyman                  IBM Rochester
 ( /_)  /  _  ' _   (507)253-2891            blairw@xxxxxxxxxx
__/__)_/_<_/_/_/_'  Opinions expressed may not be those of IBM

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and
may be privileged. It  is intended only for the addressee(s)
stated above. If you are not an addressee, any use,
dissemination, distribution, publication, or copying
of the information contained in this e-mail
is strictly prohibited.

Friends First Life Assurance Company Ltd is regulated
by the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify us by telephone at 353-1-6610600 or e-mail
Helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and delete the e-mail
from your system.

Thank you for your co-operation.
Friends First  Group, Cherrywood Business Park , Loughlinstown
Dublin 18.