    Hi Mike,

    As long as we're quoting Jefferson:

    "Delay is preferable to error." - Thomas Jefferson

    I'm sure you realize that there's not going to be a one-off answer, nor
can anyone do a good job for you without understanding your situation.
Also, since this *is* a Java mailing list, you probably aren't going to get
a lot of responses that run down Java.

    And no one can answer

> So, can it be done in a simple manner and what would be the best
> implementation to keep it simple?

without knowing what you are trying to do.

    Now that I've told you what we ( or I, at least  ) can't do, I'll speak
in general terms myself.  Java is not a bazooka, although anyone can make it
one.  J2EE, which it appears you've jumped into, can be an atomic bomb.

    To anyone who has dabbled in SmallTalk and gone through development
with C++, what you are saying is not new.  OOP has failed in many places.
The reason, though, is generally that these places have not really embraced
OO technologies.  Just as nearly every C programmer became a C++
programmer - by virtue of having a C++ compiler - many "Java" programmers
are writing procedural programs that might as well be RPG, other than
syntax.

    This is not necessarily a bad thing; the syntax is fairly easy and the
API and tools give you an incredible amount of capability.  The problem is
that most won't own up to the fact that they are using it that way, and
missing most of the bang for the buck.

    I would expect initial projects to be more expensive due to A) new
technology and B) the idea is to develop reusable classes and components
that increase reliability and save time and money in the future.  That takes
thought and design, which aren't cheap.  When each project starts from
scratch, as is usually the case from the paragraph above, there is little
productivity gain.

    As a concrete case, an AS/400 - RPG shop approached me to teach an
introductory Java class some time back.  I told them up front that the
technology failed in many shops and gave the reasons why.  Then I began the
class with OO concepts, etc.  After four half-day classes, they cancelled.
As best I could tell, they were unhappy that they weren't writing programs
immediately.  That particular decision has, to date, cost them in the high
six, and may be hitting seven, figures.  And each project starts from
scratch.

    You can probably tell that I could go on for a while, but I'll try to
close it down shortly for now.

> 2.)  I have an end user

    My favorite question is "why do you say that?"  Ask the user to bring in
the studies.  Do they compare apples to apples?  Who sponsored the studies?

    I'd also say use the right tool for the job, while considering immediate
and longer term benefits.  I don't know if I've ever seen a better
reporting tool than RPG.  At the same time, if there were a chance that the
app might be needed on another platform later, I'd probably still write it
in Java.  And you may need that atomic bomb, but maybe not.

> 2.)  How does the JAVA language/environment stack
> up to other technologies?

    Again, this is so general that I don't believe anyone can give a
reasonable answer without knowing what you are trying to do, along with your
goals and priorities.  J2EE, for example, is an amazing tool, if you need
its capabilities.  If you don't, you're back to the atomic bomb, when you
need a hammer.  Java can be a hammer or anything in between.

    Last, some things aren't easy by nature, and I mean tasks, not
necessarily the language or tools.  I would bet money that, other
than in a few exceptional shops, I could walk in and show that most
RPG programs, even from vendors, don't handle multiuser concurrency
and integrity well at all.  That's not RPG's fault.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400