On Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2004 17:20, Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm getting some feedback in my company that while general in nature has me
> thinking about Java in the big picture.   The two themes I'm getting are:
>
> 1.)  It's to complicated - it's a bazooka when we just need a bullet.  Now,
> granted some of that can be how we are doing things so it's not just
> pertaining to the language.

you need more efford for application design and less implementing the
application.

> 2.)  I have an end user with technical skills who keeps claiming to have
> studies that shows when a similar development project is done between Java
> and some other sort of technology that the Java side always takes more time
> and is more expensive.

wich studies??? wich other technologies??? that statement is without any
worth. in java you can get great benefits by using freeware and open source
frameworks. have a look at most of rpg and cobol applications. reinventing
the wheel over and over.

> I apologize for the nature of these questions but I'm not sure on how to be
> more specific but:
>
> 1.)  In broad terms can Java be implemented in a simple manner and does
> that make sense in a lot of cases.  In my company we have probably over
> complicated our environment with some original implementations of EJB's
> that we are now regretting.  So, I realize that we may be the source of the
> problem......
> So, can it be done in a simple manner and what would be the best
> implementation to keep it simple?

it depends on your application, if you are talking about a web application use
struts, for example.

> 2.)  How does the JAVA language/environment stack up to other technologies?
>

> Michael Crump
> Manager, Computing Services
> Saint-Gobain Containers
> 1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
> Muncie, IN  47302
> (765)741-7696
> (765)741-7012 f
> (800)428-8642
>
> "I shall often go wrong through defect of judgement.  When right, I shall
> often be thought wrong by those whose positions will not command a view of
> the whole ground.  I ask your indulgence for my own errors, which will
> never be intentional, and your support against the errors of others, who
> may condemn what they would not if seen in all its parts."  Thomas
> Jefferson

mfG

Dieter Bender

DV-Beratung Dieter Bender