From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 7:39 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: RE: [OT] Great SQL Database for Java

As you know, David, I think DB2/400 is the best database available for
business applications.  But there are cases where JDBC is the correct
answer, and I'm trying to find a database that I can recommend for
beginners/students.

One of the things I really like about the HSQLDB product is that it has
two
distinct modes: client/server and in-process (or standalone).  The
in-process mode is a dedicated mode.  Only one application can access
the
database at a time, but there's no need to run a server, either.  This
is
easiest environment I've ever seen for testing.

There's even a diskless version in which the data isn't stored on disk.
This has some great possibilities in handheld devices - you can write
your
code as if you were using a database, then have an initialization
routine
that simply loads a "pseudo-database" in memory with data from a ROM or
downloaded over a wireless connection.

The client/server connection is nice, it's a proprietary TCP/IP
protocol,
and then there's the HTTP-based version.

I'm going to continue to look at this puppy for non-iSeries development.

> One that I use a lot is MySQL, which only
> costs you if you integrate it into a product. Postgresql is the
> ultimate Free DB but not quite as quick as MySQL but difficult to
> install.

This is the issue.  My audience is, as always, the guy trying to learn.
want something simple to install AND USE, and HSQLDB excels at both of
those
things.  The standalone mode, which doesn't even require you to fire up
server, is the ultimate in ease of use.

Joe