Buck --

There are a number of PTFs in this area.  What release of OS/400 are you
on?  How current are you on the PTFs?  What is the message ID for
"Trigger program or external routine detected an error."  What is the
second level help?  Are there messages preceeding this in the job log
after you issue your call?  If possible, can you post the relevant
portion of your job log (between entering the CALL command and the
issuance of the error message).  You may also want to turn on STRDBG.
I'm not sure if that makes a difference but sometimes it does.  Also,
have your joblog set for the maximum amount of information (4 00
*SECLVL).

Thanks,
Gary