That's why there are named constants... try this instead...

  Calendar c = new GregorianCalendar( 2002 , Calendar.AUGUST , 31 );
  c.add( Calendar.DATE , 1 );

And it isn't idiotic (although it can be annoying) when you consider that
all arrays, ArrayLists, Vectors, HashMaps, and other collections begin at
position 0, a fairly standard practice in languages other than RPG.  After
all, a year is an Array of months, a month is an Array of days, a day is an
array of... well you get the idea.

Joel R. Cochran
Director of Internet Services
VamaNet.com