Am Montag, 18. März 2002 22:09 schrieben Sie:
> Dieter, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.
>
> I see no problem in a Java programmer asking an RPG programmer to write a
> piece of code which will be invoked as a Java Native method.  There is no
> requirement to create Java objects from the RPG just straight RPG code with
> no major problems as long as *Serialize is coded (and I don't think the
> call works if it is not).  In this scenario the Java programmer (many of
> whom don't understand threads either by the way!) is the only one who has
> to understand threads.

agreed

The RPG guy neither knows or cares.  Can you still
> get into trouble - yes.  Should you avoid it for that reason - no.  An RPG
> programmer can delete/modify every record in a database if he codes badly
> enough - this case is no different and again the Java programmer should be
> aware of the potential problems.

agreed

> Calling Java from RPG requires far more awareness and far more skill on the
> part of the RPG programmer.  That said, anyone who can wrestle their way
> through the notion that everything has to be prototypes and that any static
> method requires an object be passed as the first parm even though it is not
> in the parm list ...... Well let's just say they have to be above average
> and are probably Java aware anyway.  And as Larry noted - they'll soon
> learn!

I think the point we might disagree is the topic:

coexistence of java and rpg in mixed applications.

In my opinion, rpg is the old world and java the new world. And there
coexistence is using already coded rpg modules in java applications. And the
easiest way to do this is registering them as stored procedures (for
programs) or UDFs for functions. The flexibility is better than jni and
performance is an issue of hardware (and marketing = pricing of the as400);
threading issues ar handled by the driver, you don't need to change anything
of your rpg code; if you don't want to serialize everything, you might use
multiple (pooled for performance) connections.

If you need newly written native procedures for performance reasons, it would
be a better choice to use c modules, they are (more or less) portable as
source code. The rpg programmer writing the JNI code has to deal with c in
the prototypes anyway.

Writing java code to support rpg programs is a step into the wrong direction.
RPG is the language for 5250; even for batch programs multithreaded java code
will perform out rpg on a box with multiple processors.