Am Montag, 18. März 2002 17:22 schrieben Sie:
> >> Wouldn't one or two nasty bugs be a sufficient teacher?
> >
> >One or two nasty bugs ... did you ever have problems with deadlocks in
> >multithreaded applications???
>
> Maybe that's my problem.  I've been a developer of system programming for
> nearly 30 years, including the original single level store paging code.
> Needless to say, I have significant experience with such bugs both at the
> system and application level.

It was no recommendation for people like you, it was for rpg programmers
having no experience on multithreading.

> Perhaps your suggestions are practical for your environment, but it seems
> very draconian to me.  Java's synchronization is itself pretty draconian
> (and therefore simplified compared to what I deal with), which is why your
> all.  Most bugs would be "I forgot to put 'synchronized' here," which ought
> to be easy to spot in code inspections or even DOS FIND commands on your
> code tree (looking for both "native" and "synchronized").  Not to mention
> that it is hardly a requirement for Java code to be multi-threaded to start
> with, though it may be prudent to make some allowance for it later on, I
> suppose.

Many people are starting with servlets and they will run multithreaded by
default.

> I haven't measured the performance here, but I would expect that a solution
> like stored procedures (at least when there's no real data base operation
> involved) could be done faster with data queues or sockets.  I don't
> remember you mentioning that (perhaps you did).  That solution, too, would
> alleviate concerns about synchronization.

I recommended sql as a middleware, because JDBC synchronizes on the
connection automatically.