Yet again copied from another forum...
Think this is not 'off-topic'...

Ye thats right that J2EE Petstore was not developed while keeping
performance Issues in mind.
But encapsulating few of the bussiness logic in Stored procedures is not a
bad thing i think.We have also done the same approach abt 1 year ago in a
J2EE based project and its performance was offcourse better than querying
database again and again thru JDBC calls.But these procedure calls should be
used only in the cases where consective hits to DB are required .One thing
more i have seen in .Net that it followes the component oriented approach
.One step next to the Object Oriented approach.
Although development in Java is too rapid and it does not take much time to
map the Technical Design specification to Actual code.but it is more Rapid
in .Net. But in .NET there is not much flexibilty in writing
applications.but what i have feel that coding in C# or VB.Net is approx same
.Because approx same libraries are used in both and even same VM will
execute precompiled MSIL.then what is the adavantage of writing application
in VB.NET or C# or C++ or other complient languages.Only one advantage is
that its programers choice that they want to write code in COBOL or C# or
VB.NET .So it seems that Language independence is just a functionalty which
they are using to boost up the .Net in market.Bcos it dont have much
advantages as it seems.I am not sure abt one thing . DotNet says that any
.Net complient language can be used to write Code .For example now COBOL is
also .Net complient so will .NET support already written Cobol code or
Pascal Code.?What i think that .Net cant support that code bcos already
written code in old languages is not written while keeping "Common Type
System" in mind.Please throw some light on this issue.

Regards
Rizwan