  • Subject: RE: VAJAVA vs CODE/400
  • From: "Larry Loen" <lwloen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:47:40 -0500

Joe,

>What do you consider serious Java development? If a requirement of a
>project is a GUI, would you use java for this, or something like VARPG or
>VB? Granted the examples with which I am working will never see
production.
>They are merely learning projects. However, there may be a need for
>something like this in the future.

>I am trying to climb out of the chasm that is traditional green screen
>programming. I'm trying to at least introduce my self to more cutting edge
>technologies. However, if these technologies will not be employed in my
>current environment, then maybe I should focus my efforts elsewhere.

>My company and this industry in general does not yet have a large presence
>on the Internet. Moreover, we are heavily committed to EDI, so there is
not
>a big push for me to become fluent with XML.

>Maybe I need to step back and see the forest despite the trees.

>Thanks,

>Mark

Well, I am not Joe, but I have some opinions on the matter.

First, I have a governing philosophy that says "nothing is ever wasted."
I've learned things I though I'd have no use for in my career and I ended
up using virtually all of those things anyway.  That may be partly a
function of where I work (IBM), but I really doubt it.  There's a lot to be
said for the instincts of a good technologist.  If you feel the need to
learn XML, it will stand you in good stead if, next year, someone
(including forces external to your company) suddenly decides that some or
all of your EDI will convert to XML pronto, to pick but one example.  If
you're wrong, it will probably be useful down the road when XML morphs into
something else neither you nor I can predict, but will be vitally important
later on.  So, if you think you need to learn XML, learn it.  And, if
there's no budget, or no time for a class, spend 50 bucks for a good book
on what you think might be your future.  That's what I do, anyhow.

Second, Java is a great way to get started on GUI.  Especially if you have
a good drag-and-drop IDE that takes all the tedium out of dealing with
windows and scrollbars.  A good IDE is also excellent for basic debug.
These can be very productive avenues both for exploration and actual
productivity on the job.

Above all, save a few "ergs" of learning time for things your company is
sure is irrelevant to its strategy.  Not even the most ingenous and
far-sighted company can be correct all the time.  If you have a hunch on
where things will end up, and you're sitting there with the skills they
need when the change comes, guess who is in the catbird seat?  If you're
wrong and the company is right after all, all that will happen is you'll
know things that others around you don't.  Which sometimes matters, too.

Larry W. Loen  -   Senior Java and iSeries Performance Analyst
                          Dept HP4, Rochester MN