From: Shawn Church [mailto:shawn@boxity.com]
Sent: mardi, 19. juin 2001 02:42
To: JAVA400-L@midrange.com
Subject: RE: VAJAVA vs CODE/400

I am not necessarily "required" to work with an outside version control
system, but out of habit and common practice that comes natural.  Do you
ever export your code for purposes of backup, etc.?  I seems a little spooky
to trust all my code to the VAJ repository, but maybe that's just me.

I have been puzzled as to the poor performance of VAJ I have experienced,
which is why I have tried it on several different occasions in different
environments, and hence is reproducable.  I can't quickly blame NT, since
nothing else has been problematic, but you also say you haven't had these
types of problems in "quite some time", implying you may have had these
problems at some time in the past?  If everyone else which is using VAJ
successfully is also running 2000, then NT may very well be the issue.
Otherwise, maybe I should try VAJ 3.5 sp2.  I can't/don't want to yet go to
2000, because of the lack of compatibility with a few applications which
don't yet support 2000 (ie - Iris).  My reference to "rare" was not to
application crashes in general, but to the point of requiring a system
reboot since the processes were frozen to an extent I could not end them
individually.

My development is a mix of OS/400, NT, and Linux, but my primary concern
(over cost) is the viability of the product in general.  Since it sounds
like my experiences were unique, I should probably try it again.

If you could address the question about the Java code safety, I would
appreciate knowing "best practices" for this situation.

Thanks,
Shawn