  • Subject: RE: frame question
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:07:37 PDT

** Reply to note from Scott Johnson <sjohnson@highsmith.com> Tue, 18 Nov 1997
07:25:08 -0600

> I watched a guy demo a Unix version once.  He set his Sniffer program
> on one PC to sniff at another PC sitting on his desk.  While he typed his
> login ID and password on the other PC is was echoed in hex on the PC
> running the Sniffer program.
>
> So, the physical connection is not needed in this modern world, thanks
> to the Internet and TCP/IP......

No, but what packet sniffers _do_ require is to be running on a box that is
within the route from you to your host.

Provided the criminal hacks a machine within your route, say your ISP or a
backbone router, and sniffs an IP address likely to obtain credit card
numbers, what he would obtain are number encrypted at your applet. Each
different applet would use a different key for encryption.

This doesn't make gaining these numbers impossible, just unlikely and
difficult. The idea being to make it more costly to gain the numbers than
can be gained with them.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.