  • Subject: Re: Is anyone out there?
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:09:35 -0500 (EST)

Chris,

> I am very interested in Java and it's effect on the future of the AS/400.
>  I am working for a company that is very involved with the San Francisco
>  Project. I don't work in that area, but the fact that we are already
>  redeveloping our application in Java using the SF frameworks played a big
>  part in my decision to come to work here.
>
>  Can we all kick in with a little info on what our interest level is in
>  Java?

Sounds like my interest level is pretty much the same as yours.  I'm very
interested in JAVA as an emerging technology, but afraid to invest too much
time in it lest it be wasted due to lack of use -- like I did with "C".  I'm
a _BIG_ proponent of learning new things, but not "just for the sake of
learning" when it comes to computing business skills.  If I'm going to learn
something that I'll likely never use, I'd rather invest the time in something
like "the history of Latvia" -- at least I can talk to "normal" people about
_that_ ;-)!

>  I already get two other lists about Java, one general and one advanced. I
>  was hoping that this list would maybe get some discussion going
>  specifically in the area of Java's effect on the midrange and of course
>  some programming discussion about accessing AS/400 objects.

Could you share the subscription instructions?

>  How many of you are familiar with the SF project? Any feedback on what you
>  think it means for the future of Java?

At least to me, SF is the "three blind men and an elephant" analogy that was
once applied to people that didn't know enough about CASE.  Lead three blind
men to an elephant in the front, middle, and back, respectively.  One says
"It's a snake thing", another "a coarse, leathery thing", and the third, "a
rope thing".  SF is still that "snakey, course leather, rope thing" whose
function is as yet unknown.  From what little I've heard, SF will provide a
base set of objects, classes, and controls similar to what the old "C" class
libraries provided -- yet other people say it's something else entirely.
 Have you got a clearer picture?

>  I'll be happy to post until you wretch if you want my opinion on the
>  subject.

Me too ;-)!

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"After thirty, the body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler