From: Consulting on the iSeries / AS400
Date: 12/31/04 11:25:17
To: consult400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Consult400] First consulting job

> Usually the non-compete agreement is signed when you start work for a
> company. I've been shocked a few times at the restrictions some companies
> put on employees.

Sometimes they specify that you can't work for ANY of their clients. But
they don't define what a client is. Is it only clients you've worked at or
only current clients or is it anyone who has ever been their client? I've
found that even if they don't enforce the non-compete, the uncertainty alone
can make it difficult to close a deal with a potential client. The good
thing is that these non-compete clauses are often negotiable, especially if
you are a potential new employee and they have an opening that they think
you can fill.

Chris Andrle

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.