  • Subject: RE: Inserting Specs of a different type after a given type.
  • From: "Ric A. LuBell" <rlubell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:25:28 -0400

I've been using Code since it was only an OS/2 based system, so I guess I
have some experience with trying to find the fast path through coding.  I
use the ctrl/alt keys often, although I don't _hate_ the mouse at all, and I
basically can FLY through an edit session like there is no tomorrow.  If you
get to know them, they are fantastic, and WAY WAY faster than doing the SEU
shuffle.  Just takes a little getting used to.  I also completely agree with
the comment about giving up valuable real estate to sequence numbering and
dates.  It is fine to use them both for specific purposes, such as
diagnosing when lines of code were changed or inserted between various code
levels, but when outright editing I find them way to expensive to take up my
screen real estate... especially when doing Code Compare, where you have TWO
members up on the screen side by side and are at best seeing partial lines
anyway.

As for suggestions for improvement and CL prompting, please do away with the
need for a special connection (STRCODE) session just to enable CL prompting.
I seem unable to establish that anymore, and sometimes I DO want to prompt a
CL command.  Also, even when I AM able to get STRCODE going, it's not fun to
have to leave your editing session to go to another window to handle the
prompted CL.  It's great to NOT have to do that with RPG prompting, and CL
should work the same way.  All in all, though, my biggest complaint with
Code is that the history of problems and glitchy things (connectivity
issues, prompting issues, session freezups, memory leaks, etc...) makes it
difficult to convince NEW users to use it.  They find the old green screen a
more reliable and predictable interface, and thus would rather use that even
if Code provides for faster coding, giving the excuse that it can't be used
if it's down all the time.

Ric LuBell