  • Subject: RE: Code queries
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:00:59 -0400

 >> The default is always to show the Command Shell.  The reason that this
is useful is that sometimes the error list does not contain sufficient
information to let you know why the compile failed (ie. insufficient
authority etc)

I know it is the default Violaine, but frankly I think it is and has always
been a bad choice.  Yes there is sometimes information there that is useful
- but the word is "sometimes" - in my experience "sometimes" occurs about
once every three months!  Every time I teach a Code class the students
_always_ ask how they can change the default on this feature.  If you need
to look at the command shell you can always press F9 - that's still only
one keypress and the rest of the time you don't have to do anything.

It is particularly annoying to have this window pop up on Win2K where (most
of the time) it doesn't come into the foreground and you have to minimize
everything else to get to it (this often happened to me in Win 98 as well).
I have to wait for the beep and then simply assume the compile was OK - of
course this causes problems when it wasn't!

Please consider changing the default or at least allowing us to control it
- I don't think that simply turning off notification is an acceptable
alternative because then you don't know when the compile has finished.

+---