Glad I did not insult you. I am not qualified either, but hopefully some of
my remarks helpful.

In case you were not already aware of this, in 405 CD:
ORD420 = Pickable Orders Report
ORD410 = Order Exception Report
ORD550 = Pick Slip Release
ORD560 = Pick Slip Printing
ORD570 = Pick Slip Confirm
ORD590 = Print Shipping Documents
I would advise against modification, or clone modification here, if you do
not have access to AS/Set.
However the Bill of Lading and Pack List programs are pretty simple ORD595
and ORD596 old fashioned pre-AS/Set easy to modify.

ORD105 = Trading Partners Maintenance
ORD115 = Trading Partners Listing
You need to setup Trading Partners for things like truck lines, UPS, etc.
EDI also has something called Trading Partners, for stuff like the VAN where
you get the EDI transmission. You may need to have 2 files, one for BPCS
Trading Partners, another for EDI Trading Partners. If same outfit both
places, probably smart to use same reference #.

If I were you, I would check out EDI web sites to locate standards for 866.
I would also ask people at the company, if they know, does the customer that
needs the 866, have a reputation of obeying standards, or violating them ...
it could be that no one is left at the company who knows this.

My memory of the EDI standard concept is that there are many different
record types, with different layouts, and you do not know in advance what
sequence they will arrive in, but the first few characters of each record
can tell you what type is coming next.
So you have to have the mother of all CASE statement lists, which identifies
which subroutine will process what kind of record, then most start with
overlaying a humongous string of data into a file layout, or data structure
designed for that format, in which you have to define it variable length,
because you cannot predict in advance how long the individual fields will
be. Sometimes you cannot properly process some content, until you find some
field from a record you have not read yet, so separate routines are needed
to search thru records not yet read, to find the next ones of particular
types.
The above assumes you working with EDI I. If you have EDI II and customers
who adhere strictly to the standards, much of the mapping is handled for
you.
As soon as the program identifies what customer this is for, and maybe some
other variables, you may need special subroutines to handle stuff where this
customer is violating the 866 standards. When I was in this, we had
different customers with different violations of the same standards.

Also, need to make allowance for customer requests which are lead time
violations, or other instances needing human attention. In other words
automate delivery of the Ok stuff, and have a second work file for problem
input which cannot be dumped into BPCS without human attention. Then some
way for users to process what can be processed.

EDI expects to send an acknowledgement to customer "Hey we got your data"
but maybe you need to delay that until you can include something about their
data that is no damn good (if any).

While in theory, all of a particular kind of data is to arrive using a
particular EDI standard, we had customer personnel calling us up, sending
faxes etc. with "corrections" to their EDI data, sometimes arriving before
we saw the EDI data.

Many of our customers have asked for code #s on all our documents to them,
which both use certain phraseology, and we see no logical place in BPCS to
enter them. Towards this end, it is absolutely critical to have a BPCS
field reference manual (or XRF dump) because many fields are logically
populated within programs, so GO CMDREF won't get everything. The goal of
this is to determine what fields in BPCS are safe to use for purposes other
than BPCS defaults. For example, we found some fields that show up on top
of INV300 BOM300 etc. which we were not using, and were already accessible
via INV100 and other standard update programs, so we used the BPCS literals
renaming utility to give them meaningful names relevant to our users. Plus
you need to document what you have done to avoid conflict with other
programmers, and future Infor releases. We found it useful to put our mods
in a separate message member, so that after a new release wipes out our
work, we merge our mods back in.

Fans of query and other tools need to be able to cope, because the
substitutions do not occur at the IBM OS file level.

We modified INV300 where the list price is, to insert a field from item
master if there is a price break on the item, and show the first couple
entries (that is all which would fit nicely), so assuming our data is
up-to-date consistent, people can more rapidly find out if there is a price
break, than using the cumbersome price break inquiry program in every case.

We use customer part # as our item #, which works for 99% of our business,
so the item description defaults to same as item # for end item. In
customer order entry, the description defaults to same. We have been
substituting there some info requested by some customers, for which we found
no other field in BPCS which made sense.

Because we have different customers playing by very different rules of what
they are demanding, we have variants of many BPCS modifications, tailored to
the different sets of rules.

Into BPCS, we look for a "hook" where it makes sense to input data with
minimum upheaval. For example, if this data was to come in the old
conventional way, perhaps the program which a human might use to key it in
could be cloned, and have the data instead come from a standard file's data
which was derived from the EDI data. Do not try to clone and modify ORD500
unless you have AS/Set. If the company has decent pockets (don't need to be
excessively deep), you might consider getting FoxTrot which is a PC overlay
for any BPCS user program to actually get its data from any other source
which a user can see on-screen, such as Excel, Internet Web Page, you name
it.

Be very careful about inserting data to BPCS files without going thru BPCS
checks and balances. Many files have "sequence #s" cross-indexed to many
other files. Many BPCS programs walk down sequence #s 1 2 3 4 etc. then if
they get to a gap or mismatch, they don't look for the next higher #, they
just quit, so you need to know all the other places the sequence #s need to
be in synchronization.

We have a lot of crashes where someone PC go down leaving some order in-use
which can mess up a lot of things, particularly when user forgets order #
they were in, or in case of shipping it can be all orders on one customer.
We have query to list orders currently in-use, and a mass update menu option
to take everything out of in-use, after confirming all possible users are
off relevant programs.

I checked our shipping and order preparation menus ... I had vague memory of
some modification we did with picking orders, but now I cannot find it.

-
Al Mac