I suggest you familiarize yourself with
(a) BPCS documentation in file BPCSDOC member BPCSLOG00 (the logic manual)
which will give you the naming conventions of all the files
(b) IBM OS command DSPFFD which will give you full layout of fields in all
BPCS files. Start with IIM item master.
(c) What modifications you have which update BPCS files, which might not
adhere to BPCS standards.
(d) Does your company maintain any kind of archives for older data?
(e) informing people in BPCS-L, when you post questions, what version you
are on, since not everything identical in all versions ... for example, I am
on BPCS version 405 CD (beyond release 02) on IBM OS V5R1 on an actual
AS/400 (inaccurate to call it an Iseries since it was manufactured before
that invented)

It varies with the file, and with your system parameters. Many files do NOT
have a date of last transaction. Some have one, but it is unreliable and
misleading.

For example, we tried to turn off the physical inventory flags in ITE so
that they would NOT update last date of inventory change. We wanted to be
able to list items on-hand whose last date of inventory activity was before
the latest physical. We found a bug in BPCS. Physical inventory software
disregards the tailoring in ITE business rules.

We have had periodic debate what types of transactions ought to count as
relevant to last activity. For example, should a cycle count correction
update the last transaction date, or should we only have that happen for
item used in production, received or shipped? Different people interested
in different things, so some of our custom programs look for last date of
ITH transactions of particular types, and for aggregate activity in a date
range.

Some query users need to be reminded that if they try a date range that is
older than the date range within ITH data content, they will find nothing,
but that will not be an accurate result.

Some of the sales analysis files have last transaction date for combination
of sales person, customer, item, facility, so we have to do combination
analysis to find most recent (highest) date for a particular item. Also, we
use a letter combination in sales person field to represent the customer
service person, engineer, QC etc. team in charge for that customer, which
periodically gets reshuffled. This is in support of various programs and
query which say to only include activity where the sales person field has a
particular letter embedded. Thus this loses activity on a customer or item
in a time frame when it was not assigned to that person. Take a look at SSD
and SSH files through the lens of DSPFFD.

There is a date of last transaction in the inventory records, but we
habitually remove IWI and ILI records when they go to zero activity, so any
date in there is only for still active items.

Several files have date of last update, which is updated by the vanilla BPCS
programs, but when we have custom updates, sometimes those programs to not
honor all the same fields as vanilla BPCS.

Suppose an item is a brand new item, just entered to the system, it might
not yet have any transaction date.

How long you keep transaction file data is a factor. Suppose you keep
invoices for one year, and the last invoice date is older than the last
actual shipment in the SIL invoice line item data?

-
Al Mac