In posts to BPCS-L it is important to mention the version of BPCS you using.
This is because what can be done, and how to do it, varies greatly by version.

As a general rule, you want a system that will have minimal hassle for people to have to manage what has to be done, low risk of messing up, easy to audit. It seems to me that in your situation you are placing an enormous amount of trust in the customers honestly accounting for your product, that they have not yet used.

You probably need to include a system of confirming they received the product, because if they are expected to store it for X months, then tell you what they used, if a delivery does not arrive, or is miscounted, you don't want to be arguing 6 months later what actually got to them.

It is bad enough when something was shipped 2 weeks ago, and we are trying to reconcile what the customer says they got vs. what our records say.

You may need to have some system to audit the value of what you have sent them, that they have not yet used. There's all kinds of places where errors can occur & other people not believe the errors.

We ordered a $ 10,000 reel of wire from a supplier. It fell off the truck in transit to us & arrived in unusable condition. We documented this with the truck driver & sent it back to the supplier & called them asking for a replacement reel. The supplier sent us an invoice for the reels, within 24 hours of each shipment. It was not obvious to our accounting dept that this was a replacement shipment for one that had been rejected. We paid the $ 10,000 twice even though we had only recieved one reel.

I have a program that compares what was received, what was paid for, what was ordered, the costs quoted, etc. to identify anomalies ... what I call "3 way mismatch" ... and that is how our company found out that this happened. My software finds all kinds of stuff that BPCS users swear cannot possibly happen, until I show them the evidence.

So we contact the vendor and ask for a refund. They have no record that we returned the reel. We supply them with our documentation of this. They turn it into their insurance company, because the damaged reel is no good to them. Their insurance company rejects the claim because this was the fault of the truck company.

So then we file claim with truck company. Truck company has no record that this ever happened. We supply them with our documentation. They turn it into their insurance company. Whole process takes over 6 months before we see our money back.

My point is that you have to have excellent record keeping system to prove what happened, to account for your assets, that may not always be under your control.

I am familiar with "consignment" where we have customers that supply us some of the raw materials to make their products. We use a special item class & have them as cost zero (because they are zero cost to us), so that when we roll up costs, what we see is the cost of what we do to make the end part. The special item class is so that when people are questioning parts with missing costs, or me writing programs to list suspicious parts, we know that item class is supposed to have all items cost zero.

I am not familiar with Pay based on customer usage.

When we ship something to a customer, we "expect" to be paid in full, within the time frame specified by the A/R terms, but we know some customers pay according to their own systems. In fact, some of what shows up in A/R as over 90 days, is actually over 2 years, so "over 90 days" is a mite misleading.

However, there has been past discussion here (I not remember what keywords to use vs. the archives) where there is an issue associated with the transfer of ownership.

Let's suppose you have a chemical storage facility with chemicals supplied by some other company. Until you actually use the materials in the storage container, the excess inventory belongs to the supplier, but is on your property.

So how do they know how much has actually been used?
Do they have some kind of meter that they read via Internet?
Where is the inventory recorded? It is on your property, but it does not belong to your company, until actually consumed in production.
Are the containers clearly marked "property of" that other company?

There is an opposite situation.

There is a capability in BPCS to handle "outside vendor" work, or "outside operations".
This is where in your series of manufacturing steps, at some point a half made product goes off site to some vendor to do some special work to it, then returns to your factory.

This can present some inventory control challenges. That unfinished work product is the property of your company, but it is not physically on your site. So how do you know what the true quantity is, track scrap at the outside site, when need to replensish what are raw materials to them.

We have some reports that look at the quantity to be made, the quantity completed at the operation step where the product returns to us, the quantity at operation where we send them a kit of materials to do their thing, and the math gets the quantity that should be currently WIP on their site. This ends up on a report, listing all the work they doing for us, so they can check our numbers, to identify any place with a disagreement.

Also at time of physical inventory, we have a crew visit their site, to count our inventory that is at their location.

You may have to do something similar with your customers, so you can show your auditors, and others, precisely how much of your property is supposedly sitting at your customer site.

We have a special work center for the outside vendor, where piece work is used for the costing, instead of the customary people or machine rates. In full blown outside operations, there are different kinds of orders attached to each other, such as a purchase order to the outside vendor to return the next production level, and a shop order to deliver the work-in-process to the outside stages.

Our factory also has "safety stock" of some customer items stored at our facility, so that if they want up to some quantity, we can ship out same day, in which the customer order created to ship it, combined with the minimum on-hand, triggers MRP to replenish that stock. We have had lots of problems with customers that forget to tell us when they no longer need us to store this kind of excess.

I wish we had a system to send the customers some statement.
"Here's what we are holding for you, what its $ value is, that you pay when you need it, or you pay when you no longer need it"
In other words, if and when they realize they no longer need us to store the stuff, they still owe us the value.
Maybe have to pay some "interest" on excess storage time.
The purpose of the statement would be to remind them what parts they had talked us into storing for them.

You might take a look at customer order types.

You can get at nice chart of what they all are, if you go into ORD300 or ORD500 on any order, find where is the field for order type, place cursor on the type, then F1 help ... BPCS help is cursor sensitive ... where the cursor is on the screen, when you press help key, what help info you get, has something to do with where the cursor was, when pressing help (F1 is universal help key on IBM platform, and in BPCS software).

There may be a combination there that is a good fit to your situation.

When type-1 orders are sent to the customers, we relieve the item ordered from inventory, record that the customer requirements were fulfilled, capture cost of item shipped, add to sales totals the amount billed the customer, track receivables. It is a familiar pattern.

But sometimes we want to charge the customer some $, but not update any inventory, like a credit memo, or charge them for some kind of expediting hassles.

Special Charges are an alternate way of doing this.

We have a bunch of different special charge codes for different scenarios, so that the correct place in General Ledger is updated, according to the text associated with the type of special charge.

This is stored in the IIC item class file.
We use 2 letters of alphabet to designate classes of items.
We use 2 digits to designate special charges.
I don't know if this is standard to BPCS or just how we implemented it.

There's also how BPCS uses "customer orders" when we have multiple facilities & one facility is making parts to be shipped to another facility. These are called "resupply orders." A special customer order type is used, so we do not have to have the accounting hassle of facility-1 getting bills from facility-2 & having to handle the payables on one end and receivables at the other end.

There's also some add-on packages available from 3rd party vendors to help BPCS companies do stuff that falls outside the standard capabilities of BPCS.

You might ask what arrangements your company has for BPCS tech support.
Each place that does tech support has a wealth of extra documentation available.
In my case, i have to get boss approval before a call to tech support, because if we do not call them, we do not get a bill, so the boss has to get convinced that the need justifies the call.
Some companies have tech support where they pay a humongous sum of $ each year & get unlimited tech support, within some parameters.

Al Macintyre

Ya know, giving a guy a fish is a good thing.
Teaching him how to fish is better.
Thanks for teaching me, and letting me have the chance to learn.

Bill