You can put triggers on a file, with some program that analyses what's going on, then the person trying to do the voiding gets a message on bottom of screen:

Invoice Voiding Action on-hold until "so & so" (some other employee name or job title) approves this action ... please wait ... phone extension # for that person might be wise to include at this point, since they might have to wait a long time. You may need to have some mechanism for safely bringing that program to a conclusion without bombing it if that person is currently on a business trip, on vacation, off sicek etc.

There may be a need to have a banner warning at beginning of doing any software that can void invoices ... WHO has to approve this, and if they are not currently around, so any voiding needs to be postponed until their return.

Consider a modification.
The people who today have BPCS security access into the BPCS software that can void invoices ... when they take the voiding action, what would really happen, in the modification is that the invoice would become "coded for" void requested. Then a DIFFERENT person would have security access to the void approval program. They would see a list of invoices waiting for approval to void & they could take one of 3 actions.
YES ... the voiding is approved
NO ... reverse the invoice to the old status
WAIT ... no action yet, while we look into this
need to add fields ... WHO requested the VOID status & space for some comment or reason field.

You may not have this in your environment, but in ours, we also go outside of BPCS to actually delete or change invoices. There is a process that is followed involving manual controls. I am not happy with that system, because if a question comes up later, we don't know WHEN the deletion occurred. The documentation, on why the deletion was done, is filed with the paperwork on the fiscal month in which it happened.

I suggest you check your BPCS security on WHO has access to the software that can do the voiding. That should be a tiny fraction of your total staff.

I suggest you check the BPCS software that does the voiding to see what kind of audit trail occurs, and who has ownership of that ... you might modify that so that the person who does the voiding does not have deletion access to the audit trail, rather the person who approves the voiding would control that.

I suggest you check your AS/400 security on WHO has access to delete or change stuff outside of BPCS, like going into an invoice and upping or downing the total $ amount, and if there is any audit trail whatsoever when that happens.

I suggest you check your OTHER security systems to see WHO has access to the data flow, sufficient to change #s ... for example, we use Ops Naf to put copies of BPCS reports into Excel ... that process is vulnerable to someone changing the #s before they get deliverd.

Hi,

There is the feeling that someone may void invoices without approval.
Though we have manual controls for voiding invoices on the system, the
business thinks it will be well controlled if it is approved
electronically or someone is prompted anytime something like that is
happening.

Regards,

Isaac A. Antwi