See if you have BPCSDOC file on-line ... check members names starting SSARUN ... there should be one for each application area, such as routings, capacity planning, shop floor control, etc. Not the best manuals, but a start.

You should also have source code for the help support, meaning you do not have to get to all screens of a program to see the help text of those screens. You can print out 100% of the help text of a program without even running it. There is usually major explanation of the many fields & how they inter-relate with each other. Ours located in file QPNLSRC of library BPCS405CDS except where some PTF BMR REL whatever has delivered a more recent version ... your library list should give clues to that.

We have overlapping operations, where we do not wait until work on an operation or discrete item is 100% completed before the work completed so far is moved to be included with the next operation, started as soon as they have enough to stay busy. BPCS supports negative numbers in the intermediate times to support this.

I may be mistaken, but if you do not specify some #s, some default kicks in which might not be to your liking.

Also, I believe the start / due dates in shop orders and individual operations factor in both the MRP (when do you have to have the component parts ready, to meet the schedule, and MRP can't plan something that is past due when it would enter the system) and CAP (how long to make & do you have enough resources ... there's only 24 hours in day, unless your factory not operating 3 shifts, and you may not have enough factory machines for all the work to be done). In other words, a lot of variables play a roll in the date math. Your shop calendar, work center resources.

When you testing some changes ... do you change one variable & see what happens, or did you change a bunch & get confused? If you do one test one day, another test another day, proximity to a shop calendar that does not recognize weekend as work time, can make difference.

We are also on 405 CD but I have not worked in this area for some time, so my memory a bit spotty.

Al Mac

I'm hoping someone can offer some insight into how manipulating routing
Queue and Move times impacts capacity regarding how Bpcs plans orders at
workcenters.

We recently changed the lead time days for planned items to 4 days; we
are using Bpcs 405cd.  We discovered that some of our routings total
time (Set Up, Run, Q, Move) was more than the lead time days.  This
caused the 'release date' to be later than the start date of the first
operation; from a capacity standpoint the first operation start date was
a day prior to when the system told us to open the shop order.

In order to have the routing time be less than or equal to 4 days I
removed 1 day worth of Move from the routing (example below).  I was
expecting the result to be that the first operation start date would be
equal to the release date-the first operation start date would move to a
day later.  This did not happen.  Of the 6 planned items that had the 1
day of Move removed, 4 planned items actually had the first operation
start date move to a day earlier, and 2 didn't change.

Since, I believe, Bpcs backward propagates to get operation start times,
when removing Queue or Move times, should the operation start times move
to a later date/time and not an earlier date/time?

Any insight into how Bpcs manages this would be greatly appreciated.

Marc Graff

Production Control Manager

States Industries, Inc.

(541) 688-7871 ext. 283