Dave:

You certainly have a challenge.  The Debits should equal the Credits within
each Period and within each Journal Number that has been posted.  If they
balanced at some point in the past, then they ought to balance now.  As DeeDee
pointed out, the GGM Buckets of GPDx and GPCx are positional and are tied to
specific Periods in Next Year, This Year, and Last Year.  The other thing to
look at is the Period Master (GPM) File.  This file maintains the relationship
between Fiscal Year/Period and the corresponding GGM Bucket into which the
Journal Dollar Amount is to be posted.  There is a hidden field (so use Query
to look at the file) that contains the Bucket Number (1-6, 7-20, or 21-34) for
each Fiscal Year/Period.  You want to confirm that these values are set
correctly.  The calculation of these Bucket Numbers is based on the Current
Fiscal Year in the Company Master File.  That is, if someone goes into the
Company Master and manually changes the value of the Current Fiscal Year, the
GPM Bucket Values will be recalculated which in turn would post Journal Dollars
into a different Bucket.

The way I would approach this problem is as follows:

1.  Check the Company Master for the value of Current Fiscal Year
2.  Check the Period Master (GPM) and verify that the hidden Bucket Number is
pointing to the correct GGM Bucket Number.
3.  You said that the Trial Balance is out-of-balance for specific Periods.
So, within each of these Periods, create a Query to sort/summarize the G/L
Dollar Value by Journal Number.  You are looking for specific Journals where
the Total of the Dollars are not equal to 0.  This process should help you
narrow down which specific Journals are out-of-balance.
4.  Once you identify the Journal Numbers, then you can try to tie them back to
the sub-systems that produced these Journals.
5. I would also check the GJW File to see if there are any remaining unposted
Transactions for these out-of-balance Journals.
6.  You may also want to look for G/L Accounts that do not equal the
corresponding Journal Detail (GJD) values.  To do this, you can write a Query
to sort/summarize the GJD File by Year/Period/Co/PC/Account, but you will need
to separate the amounts by Debit (i.e. >0) and Credit (<0).  From these
workfiles, compare the Total to the corresponding GGM Bucket for the
Year/Period/Co/PC/Account.  The Debits should equal the GPDx value and the
Credits should equal the GPCx value.

I would expect that the process that I have outlined above should help you
identify where the problems are.  Based on what you find, there will be other
things that you will then need to investigate.  Figuring out these types of
problems can be quite puzzling and time-consuming, but they usually can be
figured out.  Over the years, I have had to do this several times for various
clients.

I hope that these suggestions will help you.  Should you need other suggestions
or help, please feel free to contact me off-line.

Good Luck!

Les Mittman
lmittman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx