  • Subject: Re: BPCS Version 4.05 CD
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:48:39 EST

from Al Macintyre who also works with BPCS 405 CD

SSA GT has announced that they will be dropping support for 405 CD about a
year from now ... May 2002 if I remember correctly.  So you ought to milk OSG
for all it is worth & carefully select your tech support provider.  There are
several excellent ones in the USA - I do not know about Saudi Arabia.

If you install ONLY BPCS 405 CD ... yes even though CD means Century Dating,
base 405 CD is NOT Y2K compliant.  You have to get PTF-1 REL-2 something
called Y2K fix bundle, and more BMRs besides.

Contemporary versions of BPCS need a lot more AS/400 platform "gas" than 405
CD.  There is a sizing questionairre developed jointly by IBM & SSAX to help
you evaluate what kind of hardware upgrade is essential.  Use it properly.

Assuming you install BPCS correctly, and have a good quality tech support
provider, and use BPCS correctly, I do not see why it should not serve you
now & 30 years into the future.  The problem becomes needs for new
applications that do not now talk to BPCS, or to any ERP for that matter.  I
have been pushing for my own employer to go with Smart Web for BPCS from
LANSA in which BPCS data, including version 405 CD can be accessed by any
browser with security miles above native BPCS.  I also think we need better
manufacturing design software than the hodge podge we are now using & I have
found several alternatives.

> Subj:  BPCS Version 4.05 CD
>  Date:    02/13/2001 2:31:29 AM Central Standard Time
>  From:    srisai-paluri@abunayyangroup.com (Srisai Paluri)

>  Hello,
>

>  We have BPCS 4.05 CD version. In our group we have 8 companies  and  5
> companies are using BPCS now. We have financial , manufacturing and
> distribution modules. Our plan is to implement in remaining three companies
> also by the middle of the next year.
>
>  We would like to have your advise on 4.05 CD from you is ,
>
>   1) will 4.05 CD work 3 years more  without any problem?
>   2) will there be any date related problem or any other type problem?
>
>   Do you anticipate any kind of problems with 4.05 CD.
>
>  Plan for New BPCS version :
>
>  We do not have plan to switch to new BPCS version  now as we have just
> implemented  in few of our companies. Once our all 8 companies gets
> stabilized on version 4.05 CD, then we will plan to switch to new version
of
> BPCS.
>

>  Please guide us and give your valuable advise.
>

>  Thanks in advance.
>
>  Sri Sai
>

>  P.SRI SAI
>  System Analyst & BPCS Consultant
>  Abunayyan Group
>  Post Box : 321
>  Riyadh - 11411
>  Saudi Arabia
>  Phone : 00 9661 477 9111 ext - 161
>  email address : srisai-paluri@abunayyangroup.com (office)
>                           palurisrisai@yahoo.com
>                           srisaipaluri@hotmail.com
>  Residential Telephone # :  00 9661 280 2354

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---