  • Subject: Re: PC's Locking up when in BPCS
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:40:20 -0600

Hi Dean,

The reason NT is better has nothing to do with the Task Manager allowing you
to kill the BPCS job. NT simply does not lock up in BPCS. Please read prior
threads defining what a 'lock up' is versus what is a simple application
'hang' on the PC. I still have found no reports of a real 'lock up' on the
NT platform. If you had a true lock up, the task manager would not even be
available because the keyboard does not respond. The PC lock up as described
on BMR43360 is non-application related, whereas a hang can always be traced
to some sort of application problem, usually on the server job.

Because hangs are caused generally by application errors on the server, and
if you end the server job, the PC will free up. You should always check the
server if the PC is hanging and see if a job is sitting in MSGW or is
looping for that user profile. The Task Manager is NOT the reason that NT
does not lock up or works better with BPCS. It is the operating system
kernel of NT that makes it more stable, and apparently is either correcting
whatever our code does poorly on WIN95, or is not allowing our code to do
what it does on WIN95 or is missing the code that conflicts with ours on
WIN95.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA