I have experienced a similar problem with a full client  6.0.04  and
6.0.02MM.
INV903 would run some months but not others.
Both sites were on OS release V4R1

We could not automate it as a manual step was required - maybe the manual
step could be automated.

CHKOBJLCK on IIM
there might not be object locks there, if there are, remove them and,
Press F6 for member locks - this will show which jobs are locking the file
(and these jobs are no longer in the system of course) - remove these locks
and INV903 will run for longer than 1 second.
It was always member locks in my experience.

Once we performed this step manually before the night run we had no further
problems with INV903.
I hope this is the answer to your problem.

Frank

+---