1) You need to have an connection through the network to the printer
established. You will need either A) a print server; or B) a printer
attached to a PC with a newer version of client access that supports named
devices and printer sessions. Client Access is the easiest way - just
create a printer session and the local printer attached to your PC can be a
system printer. A network printer connection will require a laser printer
attached to a print server. The print server attached to the network
(example AXIS 540 using a remote output queue configuration). Some laser
printers can be attached and emulate actual printer devices on the AS/400,
but using the AXIS 540 you must configure it on the AS/400 as a remote
output queue. (Remote output queues are easy to configure.) The AXIS box
can be configured by using a web browser over your local area network. The
crtoutq command is all that is needed on the AS/400. Example below:

If you want to use the lan attached printer as a PC printer you will be
required to install the necessary drivers to drive the printer over the
network.

Create Output Queue (CRTOUTQ)
Output queue . . . . . . . . . . OUTQ         > PRT02 <== Name of the
output queue - will not have a device name
Library  . . . . . . . . . . .                  *LIBL

Maximum spooled file size:       MAXPAGES

Number of pages  . . . . . . .                *NONE

Starting time  . . . . . . . .

Ending time  . . . . . . . . .

Order of files on queue  . . . . SEQ            *FIFO

Remote system  . . . . . . . . . RMTSYS         *INTNETADR

Remote printer queue . . . . . . RMTPRTQ       'PR1'
Writers to autostart . . . . . . AUTOSTRWTR     1
Queue for writer messages  . . . MSGQ           PRT02   <== name of message
 queue you want messages to go to.
Library  . . . . . . . . . . .                  QGPL
Connection type  . . . . . . . . CNNTYPE        *IP
Destination type . . . . . . . . DESTTYPE       *OTHER
Host print transform . . . . . . TRANSFORM      *YES
User data transform  . . . . . . USRDTATFM      *SAME
Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
Manufacturer type and model  . . MFRTYPMDL      *IBM4317
Workstation customizing object   WSCST          *NONE
Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
Internet address . . . . . . . . INTNETADR      '000.00.00.00 '  <== the
internet address assigned  to the print server
VM/MVS class . . . . . . . . . . CLASS          *SAME
Forms Control Buffer . . . . . . FCB            *SAME
Destination options  . . . . . . DESTOPT        *NONE

Print separator page . . . . . . SEPPAGE        *YES

User defined option  . . . . . . USRDFNOPT      *NONE

User defined object:             USRDFNOBJ

Object . . . . . . . . . . . .                *NONE

Library  . . . . . . . . . .
Object type  . . . . . . . . .

User driver program  . . . . . . USRDRVPGM      *NONE

Library  . . . . . . . . . . .

Text 'description' . . . . . . . TEXT           'Description of printer'

Display any file . . . . . . . . DSPDTA         *YES  <== if you specify
yes all users can see all spool files in this output queue.
Job separators . . . . . . . . . JOBSEP         0
 Operator controlled  . . . . . . OPRCTL         *YES
 Data queue . . . . . . . . . . . DTAQ           *NONE
 Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
 Authority to check . . . . . . . AUTCHK         *DTAAUT  <== allows all
users to use all aspects of output queue is owner of output queue is SSA.

Remote printing does not work well on systems that are very busy.

I hope this will be of some help.

Sincerely,

Chris Ertz
Software Development Manager