Al,

One of the good points of using a 6.x version of BPCS is that most of the
"work members" or workstation members have been done away with.
Using virtual devices on any version of BPCS can be a nightmare.

I have written programs that load the workstation data area from a file by
user profile. This way no matter what workstation you signon; your settings
are the same.
Also, I have gone to a new version of client access which allows named
devices using TCP/IP.
The few users are still using virtual devices - I have renamed the virtual
devices to a smaller more meaningful names.
Example: QPADEV0001 changed to AMP001 - names should not exceed 8
characters.

Earlier versions of BPCS liked to add workstation members to hold the data
before posting to the perm. files - I have written programs to cleanup the
"Bogus" members - I did regain approx. 20% of my disk space by doing this -
remember the logical file members must be removed before the physical file
members can be removed. I had a full blown test environment to play with
before implementing the above cleanup. You must take great care in testing
and making sure you have the files backed up before doing this.

That I know of - BPCS does not have a workstation data area cleanup nor a
workstation member cleanup.

I wish you the best,

Chris Ertz
Software Development Manager
American Metal Products

MacWheel99@aol.com on 07/21/99 08:51:27 PM

Please respond to BPCS-L@midrange.com

cc:   Lexicon@evansville.net (Jason Waller)
Subject:  Excess BPCS file members

While many folks on BPCS_L have heartache of jobs taking hours that you
think
logically should take minutes, one of my heartaches is 80% disk space
consumption, and periodic seek what we have on-line that we really do not
need.
Perhaps this is a midrange_L question.
Many of our BPCS 405 CD files are well-endowed with an abundance of empty
members that we do not need or use.  This has got to be wasting some disk
space.
ECH has 22 members
5 are for work stations that no longer exist
4 are for work stations that almost never need relevant access
3 were inherited from SSA & never used
4 date back to over a year ago when we were on pass thru before moving from

QPDAV### work station naming to departmental acronyms
FSO has 74 members
1 is FSO itself & is the only one with permanent data
1 was inherited from SSA & never used
37 are QPDAV### combinations unused in over a year
23 are valid work stations with no access here in 6 months or more
4 are valid work stations whose last access was 1-4 months ago
7 = valid work stations with last access this month
This scenario is systemic across BPCS files.
Since it appears that BPCS creates new members as needed for new work
stations, I think we need some clean-out code that goes thru files in
designated library & any time it finds an empty member, named after a
non-existant work station, or that hasn't been used since some cut-off
date,
get rid of it.
Am I making sense?  Does any such software already exist, or simple to
implement?
I know about BPCS LITE from UPI
I am basically exploring disk space wastage suspects vs. which might be as
easy to fix as the millions of deleted records scenario.
Al
+---