  • Subject: Performance solutions through hardware
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:05:56 EDT

Here's an idea for folks doing a BPCS version upgrade, in which there is a
strong suspicion that a bigger box is needed & that management might be
downplaying expectations due to sticker shock - hope you don't mind me
passing on this news item.

IBM GUARANTEES ERP PERFORMANCE ON AS/400E
http://www.news400.com/nwn/StoryBuild.cfm?ID=705
IBM is so confident in the performance of the AS/400e for enterprise
resource planning (ERP) that it will upgrade for free any new system
that doesn't perform as predicted.

"A lot of customers might be hesitant to go to an ERP solution
because it's a fundamental change for their entire way of doing
business," says Jeff Trachy, IBM AS/400 Brand ERP strategist. "We
want to make our customers feel more comfortable about implementing
that kind of change."

This new program, called the ERP Performance Protection Plan,
guarantees that an AS/400e running any of the big four ERP apps --
Intentia, J.D. Edwards, SAP, or SSA -- will be able to handle the
anticipated business workload during the first two years, or IBM will
upgrade the box's memory, DASD, and/or processor for free.

IBM chose these four ERP vendors to participate in the program
initially because they lead the AS/400 market in ERP revenue and
sales volume. But IBM's ERP sizing program -- in which all these
vendors participate -- also played an important role in the vendor
selection. For IBM to guarantee a workload, it must first size the
system to ensure the box can handle that workload. Eventually, IBM
hopes to extend the plan to all of the 13 solutions offered pre-
installed on the custom AS/400s.

While ERP customers can join the plan for free, enrollment is not
automatic. Customers must specifically ask IBM or their AS/400 dealer
for the plan, and they must also buy prerequisite services and
software, including a service line contract, PM/400 performance
monitor software, and a preproduction performance evaluation. These
prereqs, Trachy says, will ensure that the box is sized correctly and
running as predicted.

"What we're interested in here is really not in providing remedies
for our customers," Trachy says, "but we're interested in sizing it
correctly the first time, providing our customers with an additional
level of assurance that IBM will stand behind the implementations on
our platform. You're going to have the trust and confidence in our
platform."

IBM Business Partners will guide customers through a selection
process to find the specific hardware configuration that will support
their anticipated workload for the next two years. During this sizing
process, IBM and/or the Business Partner will specify a certain CPU
utilization, and if the system differs substantially from that once
it's up and running, IBM will upgrade the system.

However, customers buying under the plan may get a larger system than
the minimum required to run a particular workload. This is because,
under the terms of the plan, you must be able to upgrade in the same
processor series. For example, a 720 4-way would have no room to
grow, so IBM would recommend a 730.

For more information, see http://www.as400.ibm.com/news/protect.htm .
-- Cheryl Ross, NEWS/400 Industry Reporter
+---