  • Subject: Re: Performance solutions through hardware
  • From: "Mike Gillette" <mgillette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:28:27 -0700

If in fact the AS/400 is source of your performance bottleneck, it may be as
much a workload mix issue as it is a horsepower issue.  The 9406/640 is
primarily an interactive CPU and suffers under heavy batch processing.  The
new 7XX models and the older E-Custom Servers are tuned to give the BPCS
user an adjustable CPW mix between Batch and Interactive.  This has resulted
in superior performance than what users have experienced with the "Classic"
AS/400 like your 640.

As a BPCS Hardware Partner, I can assist you in the evaluation of your
workload mix and recommend a CPU that best meets your needs. Feel free to
e-mail me at mgillette@gssolutions.com for information.