I> Subj:         performance
>  From:        jos.kramer@kaochemicals.de
>
>  Dear Members,
>
>  I would like to know if someone has tips on how to improve performance on
> the following programs in BPCS 6.1:

We are on BPCS 405 CD but some of the same rules might apply.

>  INV300, ORD550 (Action 12 allocations), ORD720 (order allocations).
>  Generally all the programs that use allocations are extremely slow.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  jos.kramer@kaochemicals.de

During our end-of-month processing we run INV970C
which clears out inventory records that have zero contents.
During the month, between one INV970C & another one,
ILI & IWI accumulate 1 record for every combination of item warehouse
location as needed, which can add up to a lot of excess records, which can be
particularly annoying at physical inventory time..

Marc gave you an SQL which he wrote that conceptually does the same thing as
INV970C, but timing is important because there is other stuff in those files,
such as allocations, other than the on-hand balances.  We run our INV970C
after INV900C & it is a legitimate question to SSA Help Line what is the
reccommended sequence of these 900 jobs.

Al least once a week we run allocations & other reorganizations - some are
typically run as soon as people report various kinds of weirdnesses that we
have learned from experience go away with one of these reorgs.  If we were
going to do all types of reorg in the same evening (in reality we typically
do different ones different nites) here's our BPCS 405 CD sequence (other
BPCS versions might be slighly different):

1. No users on system & no batch jobs running or scheduled. e.g. end all
guests & sever the incoming phone lines.  While waiting for folks to wind
down their day's work, is a good time to be reviewing ancient spool & see if
there is any ancient stuff we can get away with killing, until we have the
automated clean up CL explained in another BPCS_L thread.

2. Re-IPL OS/400 ... we like to check how much disk space was reclaimed.
PWRDWNSYS F4 has an option for power down then immediately bring whole system
back up ... when it comes up we also WRKCFGSTS *LIN to make sure all remotes
are varied on.  To be honest, I usually only do this once or twice a month.

3. Stop all sub-systems & if we want to backup PC objects, also stop some
sub-systems that do not stop when we say to stop *ALL

4. Good Backup

5. CLROUTQ QEZJOBLOG unless we need to save some of this garbage

6. GO CMDRGZ & Reorganize BPCS files not on the BPCS list that needs reorg
... we've got a report that tells us which are needed, that folks in this
group & other internet BPCS user groups told us how to write.

7. Start sub systems but you gotta be only user on system until finished with
the reorgs,

8. BPCS SYS120C F6 F18 F6 F6 & wait patiently until it ends before doing
anything else in BPCS ... it takes us about 45 minutes.

9.  Each of the following takes a few seconds to a couple minutes each at
most:
INV972C
SFC990C
ORD990C
SYS990C
INV971C
ACR970C
ACR972C
MRP990C
we run them in the sequence shown

10. The following takes about 1 hour to execute
BOM900C

Al Macintyre
AS/400 Tech Staff (I have to try to do it all)
Central Industries of Indiana

+---