  • Subject: Re: SSA, BPCS, RISC and "HelpLine" and "last release supported...
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:22:00 -0400 (EDT)

Chris,

> DAsmussen@aol.com wrote:
>  >
>  > Not aware, but not suprised either.  My current primary client "jumped
>  > through hoops" just to get 5.1 working on the RISC, and SSA still states

> that
>  > they don't SUPPORT BPCS on RISC (OR security level 40, but look at the
MRP

>  Is this right? SSA not supporting BPCS on RISC or is there something I'm
>  missing.
>  I know my company has had issues porting BPCS to RISC - most of our
> deliveries
>  are for CISC but we've managed to get RISC copies of the security objects
in
>  BPCS that have their obervability removed. We have no major problems with
>  BPCS on RISC and most of our sites are going in that direction (3R7, 4R1).
>  Or is this issue only relating to earlier versions of BPCS, we're using
6.0.
> 02 PLf mixed mode?

Well, as usual, it's a matter of semantics with SSA (Oh, that wasn't a
PROMISED delivery date, it was a STATEMENT OF DIRECTION).  We went to RISC on
our largest production site about six months ago.  While they provided us
with RISC versions (5.1.01) of the secure objects, they stated that they
wouldn't CERTIFY operation of BPCS on a RISC box.  The software works fine,
but I think that this is more of a MAJOR CYA on SSA's part.

I don't understand either the RISC or security level 40 positions on SSA's
part.  When I worked for a TINY system software supplier, our guru's would
fly to Rochester to test the product with new releases before they were
available to the general public.  Why a company of SSA's stature cannot do
the same, I have no idea...

Cheers!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pockets."
-- Anonymous
+---