From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of HauserSSS
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:50 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: AW: Embedded SQL - fetching a date

Hi Kurt,

it might be a problem within RPG.
A date is stored as 4 Byte binary value in a file or table.
But in RPG converts all dates to a character representation.
To represent a date in RPG 10 bytes are used.
The precompiler recreates additional fields for all host variables.
The precompiler might be forced to create a 10Byte character field for
the date.
SQL is able to convert and handle a character representation of a date,
that contains a 4digit year and the correct separators.

Birgitta