From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 10:28 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Tracking static IP addresses

Bryan:

Your way better off to use DNS to keep those addresses and assign them
names as appropriate. Only refer to the device with the DNS name in the
network. That way when you change the IP address of a printer for
instance, you change the DNS and everyone still has access to it.

Your IBM i has a wonderful DNS server that does a great job, and since
it is the one server that is almost never down, it makes sense.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC