What I was suggesting was using the Non-Tech list to discuss the feasibility
of starting the new list.  You called for comments to be sent to you
privately.  I was suggesting talk about starting a new list could be done
here.  Hopefully the idea would fly, and a new list created.

Suppose someone vehemently objected to a new list, and replied to you
privately, Martin...  I'd sure like to know why anyone would object to a new
list.

Anyone can post their views of the pros and cons of a new list here, on the
Non-Tech list, to be debated in the open.

(Assuming the new list is started, the purpose of using the Non-Tech list
would disappear.)

| > ===================
| >
| > Assuming you're amenable, I'd like to make a point.  I think this list
| > would be a GREAT IDEA...!  But I'd like to see ***special emphasis***
| > on this sub-topic:
| >
| > o Merits/suitability of licenses, particularly as they apply to the
| > iSeries
|
| Speaking of licenses, what do you think of this one
| http://www.vim.org/html/uganda.html ?

I looked at it, and think it's interesting...  But I'd like to reserve
comments, until the new list is started (or until it looks like a no-go).

| > ===> Because if there isn't a good way to get income from OSS, both
| > within and from the 400 Community.. it's just NOT going to be
| > economically sustainable.  This is the part the current OSS development
| > community forgot about.  Many are starting to recognize the error of
| > their ways, but most have not.
|
| For most of the folks I know doing OSS on the iSeries/AS/400 it's just a
| hobby,

Herein lies the problem I see...  How to make it sustainable...  Again, I'll
hold off on further comments, for now.

| where any money (if any) made would be a nice perk, rather than a
| requirement. A lot of my utilities are a by-product of getting the job
| done at work. It's no loss to us to give them away, and we benefit from
| the code of others given in a like manner. The money we save by being
| able to use free software can offset purchases of proprietary software
| where ther's no equivalent.

I agree.

| And let's face it, the iSeries is a niche server (in comparision to x86
| boxes) and is out of the reach of most individuals, so isn't going to be
| another Linux anyway. As a purely business machine its user base is
| different to Linux (though obviously there is some overlap), so I don't
| see that there is a need to for all OSS on iSeries to be economically
| sustainable. I reckon that some could do it, with the right range of
| supporting services, but I expect most of it will continue to be from
| individuals or small groups that have a day job to support them.

Nothing wrong with the OSS that's currently going on...

But I see limited utility to the iSeries Community, as long as it's a
hobby-industry.

Let me know if/when the list is going to be started, Martin.

| Regards, Martin

Likewise Regards...!

jt