On Tuesday 08 January 2002 11:00 pm, jt wrote:
> <Original post was on the Tech list>
> Martin,
>
> Just woke up from a nap.. and, MAN...!  This post popped my eyes wide
> open...!
>
> ===================
>
> Just a couple points of criticism, however...  If you want to get this
> OSS400 list off to a good start...  Start it off right.
>

> Meaning, I think it would be far better to start some open discussion
> of the possibilities, rather than start a flurry of private
> correspondence to you on the subject.

My request is more along the lines of 'Would you be interested if such a
list were available'. As to its direction, well, if the list gets going,
then it can be discussed there. Most of the emails I've had have just
been one or two lines (in agreement, fortunately).

> Why not use the Non-Tech list (which id basically just being used for
> some light chat anyway)...

This doesn't preclude Nontech discussions on the subject - it's aimed at
providing a more focused resource for those interested or involved in
OSS.

> ===================
>
> Assuming you're amenable, I'd like to make a point.  I think this list
> would be a GREAT IDEA...!  But I'd like to see ***special emphasis***
> on this sub-topic:
>
> o Merits/suitability of licenses, particularly as they apply to the
> iSeries

Speaking of licenses, what do you think of this one
http://www.vim.org/html/uganda.html ?

> ===> Because if there isn't a good way to get income from OSS, both
> within and from the 400 Community.. it's just NOT going to be
> economically sustainable.  This is the part the current OSS development
> community forgot about.  Many are starting to recognize the error of
> their ways, but most have not.

For most of the folks I know doing OSS on the iSeries/AS/400 it's just a
hobby, where any money (if any) made would be a nice perk, rather than a
requirement. A lot of my utilities are a by-product of getting the job
done at work. It's no loss to us to give them away, and we benefit from
the code of others given in a like manner. The money we save by being
able to use free software can offset purchases of proprietary software
where ther's no equivalent.

And let's face it, the iSeries is a niche server (in comparision to x86
boxes) and is out of the reach of most individuals, so isn't going to be
another Linux anyway. As a purely business machine its user base is
different to Linux (though obviously there is some overlap), so I don't
see that there is a need to for all OSS on iSeries to be economically
sustainable. I reckon that some could do it, with the right range of
supporting services, but I expect most of it will continue to be from
individuals or small groups that have a day job to support them.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net  jamaro@firstlinux.net  http://www.dbg400.net        /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open        \ /