<Original post was on the Tech list>

Martin,

Just woke up from a nap.. and, MAN...!  This post popped my eyes wide
open...!

===================

Just a couple points of criticism, however...  If you want to get this
OSS400 list off to a good start...  Start it off right.

Meaning, I think it would be far better to start some open discussion of the
possibilities, rather than start a flurry of private correspondence to you
on the subject.

Why not use the Non-Tech list (which id basically just being used for some
light chat anyway)...?

===================

Assuming you're amenable, I'd like to make a point.  I think this list would
be a GREAT IDEA...!  But I'd like to see ***special emphasis*** on this
sub-topic:

o Merits/suitability of licenses, particularly as they apply to the iSeries

===> Because if there isn't a good way to get income from OSS, both within
and from the 400 Community.. it's just NOT going to be economically
sustainable.  This is the part the current OSS development community forgot
about.  Many are starting to recognize the error of their ways, but most
have not.

Some folks have given scant attention to what I've written, and assumed I'm
in favor of the MicroShaft model of doing business, because I'm vehemently
opposed to the current OSS business "non-model"...  Others realize that
nothing could be further from the truth...  I just don't see any way of
having a sustainable OSS development community by giving all the code away
for free.  (And somehow making up for that on volume... 1/2 ;-)

===================

Assuming the idea for the OSS400 list is put into action, I would not be
able to participate very much.  Just too much going on...  But you can rest
assured I'd be reading each and every post.

I've recently begun corresponding with Doc Searls, Senior Editor of Linux
World magazine, and some of the folks that wrote _The Cluetrain Manifesto_.
(I can provide link, if needed.)  I believe (but do not know) that Doc could
be called an "associate" of ESR...

Doc has been kind enough to at least read my views, and respond to some of
them.  IOW, this is one of my greatest interests at this time (but still,
only have 24 hours in a day)-:  (I still have it on my list to write up a
few of my ideas on the subject, in reply to posts we've exchanged, Martin...
Excuses, excuses, yada, yada...;-)

All that to say, I hope you have great success with this idea for a new
list...  But at the same time, think you should consider using the Non-Tech
list to flush the idea out, first.

jt

PS  You da MAN...!  Martin..  You da MAN...!