Hello Rob,

thanks for having a look!

Am 26.03.2024 um 14:26 schrieb Rob Berendt <robertowenberendt@xxxxxxxxx>:

I checked my systems.
I use no "Power Controlling Partitions". This is a property you can set via the HMC.
There is an option on my vios lpars, under advanced properties, "Automatic Start with Managed System". However it will not let me turn it on.

Same here. I wonder about what is the underlying reason.

Since I frequently apply firmware updates I would not likely use any such options. After all, do I really want to have the firmware reboot go start vios, and vios start IBM i and then shut it all down again to apply a possible two stage update?

Of course not. But then, IBM delivers everything: Hard-, firm-, and software. Is it so hard to set a flag somewhere so that even a two stage update won't involve a full IPL of all subsequent LPARs?

My experiences come from the VMware ESXi world where I'm not aware of multi-stage upgrades but a very comfy environment with automation being normal instead of the need about coming up with more or less crappy workarounds for things I'd expect to be already provided by the vendor. Aside from that, there it's usually apply update, reboot host, done.

Anyway… the responses from you, Jim and Roberto reinforce my prejudice about IBM Midrange LPAR handling being still inferior to VMware in terms of admin friendliness. Automation can be a measure to lessen human error, when applied cautiously and correctly. Why would anybody switch off/reboot a server before LPARs/VMs have properly been shut down prior?

Now, I have my Power systems in remote data centers. Each a few hours away. I can power cycle, update, etc all remotely and do so frequently. I've done firmware, vios, IBM i, etc all remotely. The only time I go to the DC is to move cables, install new hardware, etc. Doesn't really happen too often.

Same here, for the LPAR based system.

Basically the thought that having all the lpars correctly start/end in the proper sequence in the unlikely event that these data centers with multiple power inputs, multiple UPS, multiple generators, multiple circuit breakers is not worth the hassle when I can do it manually for the minimal chance of that occurring. And thus maintain control for the firmware/vios/os upgrades.

Yes, the event is very unlikely. But with an increasing about of machinery to take care of I like to make the computer "think" for me. I'm human and I tend to forget things.

:wq! PoC