Vmware doesn't really expose the VM shutdown and startup order UNLESS you
delve deep into the ESXi interface, so, for enterprise purposes, automatic
shutdown or restart is not something "supported".
I know it because I had it configured and I wondered why it wasn't working
and it turns out that doing migrations between hosts resets any automatic
configuration, so now you can get the domain controllers started in the
wrong order or last of all and let all of the servers run around timing out
because they expected the AD up and etc.
I understand what you mean, but it is not something that is really used for
most enterprises (and most enterprises don't even fully shutdown those
machines, I just did some HMC, FSP, IO, VIOS and PTF updates for a customer
and the only full shutdown was for the FSP code and that one we handled
manually so it took the least time possible, all while the other machine
was providing service)