I checked my systems.
I use no "Power Controlling Partitions". This is a property you can set
via the HMC.
There is an option on my vios lpars, under advanced properties, "Automatic
Start with Managed System". However it will not let me turn it on.

Since I frequently apply firmware updates I would not likely use any such
options. After all, do I really want to have the firmware reboot go start
vios, and vios start IBM i and then shut it all down again to apply a
possible two stage update?
Would I like a VIOS upgrade go automatically start IBM i when I may need to
bring the VIOS down again for a two stage update?

Now, I have my Power systems in remote data centers. Each a few hours
away. I can power cycle, update, etc all remotely and do so frequently.
I've done firmware, vios, IBM i, etc all remotely. The only time I go to
the DC is to move cables, install new hardware, etc. Doesn't really happen
too often. I did go to a DC up north yesterday but that was to move the
fiber channel connections off of one EOS switch on to new IBM Brocade
switches.
Basically the thought that having all the lpars correctly start/end in the
proper sequence in the unlikely event that these data centers with multiple
power inputs, multiple UPS, multiple generators, multiple circuit breakers
is not worth the hassle when I can do it manually for the minimal chance of
that occurring. And thus maintain control for the firmware/vios/os
upgrades.